Saturday, March 20, 2010

LA Marathon NPN 5K

This morning I went to the LA Marathon NPN 5K Race with the Lululemon run club.  It was so crowded!  I didn't expect so many people to show up for it since the actual marathon is tomorrow.  But I guess this was for people (like myself) who wanted to share some of the marathon fun without actually running 26.2 miles.  I run pretty often, but I have no desire to ever put myself through that.  I used to want to do a half marathon but I don't even know if I want to do that anymore.  I don't see the point.  I think 8-10 miles is the most I would do.

Anyway so the race started at the Dodger Stadium and there must have been thousands of people there.  It was supposed to start at 8 am, but traffic was so bad getting there that we didn't even get there until 8.  Then had to park and get our bibs.  The race actually started more like at 8:30, which was fine.

All the Lululemon girls wore something in the new lagoon color.  Good thing I had one too!  I wore my lagoon Run:Swiftly Tech SS that I bought a while ago, and my coal Run:Jog skirt.  It was like 80 degrees in LA today, so it was perfect.  There were many other girls from the other Lululemon locations around LA, and I obviously didn't know many of them.  But they all thought I worked for Lulu too because I looked like it.  Hehe... made me chuckle.  I guess I should take that as a compliment since they are all cute girls who are fit!

The race itself was super hilly!  I totally did not expect that.  I thought it would be an easy cruise and finish in about 20 minutes.  But there were 3 BIG hills.  I saw the first one from afar and thought to myself we better not be going there!  Some of the more flat areas were slight inclines as well, so it was actually a pretty tough 5K.  I ended up finishing in 27 minutes.  So about 8.7 minutes a mile.  Not so bad considering all the big hills I had to climb and nearly fainted.  There were lots of spectators at the end of the race cheering people on, so I was definitely sprinting at the end and my heart rate went up the roof.  I just kept telling myself not to faint in front of everyone right before the finish line because that would have been so embarrassing!!  Hehe..

Well, the Lulu girls brought running socks and headbands to give out to people.  But they didn't really end up giving them to many people so I got another Slipless Headband in plum color, and a pair of the Ultimate Running Socks.  I was wearing mine and glad to have gotten another one for free since they retail $14, which is a lot for socks in my opinion.   But they are pretty light weight but padded in all the right spots, so I like them.  Plus I got them in fun colors (white/seniorita)!



At the end of the race we all stretched out and did yoga poses and got a lot of people to watch and take pictures of us.  Hehe... that was kind of funny.  Oh, and I also got a medal!  It's actually pretty heavy and nice looking.


We walked around the Expo afterwards which is the Expo for the actual marathon.  It was soooo big!  I think we spent at least an hour in there.  They had tons of different vendors giving out samples and selling stuff.  Pretty cool.  I tried the Bolthouse mocha flavored protein drinks and they were so yummy!  Like a light milkshake.  May have to go get some, though they are high in calories and sugar.  Also liked the barley powder drink from Green Foods.  

Had such a fun time today!  I'm looking forward to cheering on the marathon runners tomorrow!  They are passing by my neighborhood (mile 22), so that's exciting!  The Brentwood Lululemon store is hosting a party, we plan to bring champaign and OJ.  Should be a fun time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...