Monday, August 16, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I just finished reading this book called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I've been reading on my way to and from work on the subway, which is great because otherwise I would not have time to read leisure books right now.  It's the first of the Millennium trilogy, written by the Swedish author Stieg Larsson who actually died before the novels were found and published.


So the book became a sensation in Europe and now in North America.  My boyfriend actually read it first and liked it.  Then he took me to watch the movie that was based on the book.  So by the time I read the book, I already knew what happened already.  Of course, as always, I find books better than movies because they just have much more detail. 

This book has unique characters based on an investigative financial journalist and a anti-social crazy computer hacker genius.  They are definitely a unlikely pair, actually the polar opposites of each other.  But fate has them intertwined, and they wind up being in the middle of a global complicated financial fraud as well as a serial murder.  

I really like the development of the characters, especially the girl.  The description of her past is just enough for the reader to understand why she is the way she is, without being too detailed and boring (I could be kind of ADD).  And I think you do sympathize with her even if she does seem so strange in the beginning!  The plot development is a good pace for me as well.  Even though I knew what happened at the end, it still kept me turning the pages. 

So I got the next book in the trilogy - the The Girl Who Played With Fire.  Very interested to see what the new plot will be about!  Also, the American version of the movie just got casted so it will be interesting to see how the movie turns out.

7 comments:

  1. I loved this entire trilogy. I read them consecutively in a matter of a week. I saw the movie after reading the first book and did not like it at all. I felt the screenplay changed/omitted too many important details while keeping trivial points in. I hope you like the other two. Despite Larssen's dry, sometimes mechanical writing, he was a fantastic investigative journalist. I loved becoming even more intimate with many of the characters introduced in the first book in the last two pieces. I love your blog--keep those pics of yourself modeling Lululemon items coming! They help me determine if I'm interested in an outfit.

    I love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the movie did miss many details, and I found it especially odd that they completely ignored his relationship with Berger. But I did like the actress that played Lisbeth though, I thought she looked how I would have expected from reading the book. Or maybe it was because I saw her first so I already had an image of her when I read the book? hahaha... but I think it will be interesting to see the version that Hollywood comes up with! Did you see that they just casted Rooney Mara as Lisbeth today? She looks so pretty and angelic, but I'm sure they can do their magic with makeup and wardrobe! And thanks, I will keep the pics coming whenever I can. Glad to be of help! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the audiobook - you should listen to that too - really good narrator :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I've actually never bought an audiobook and don't know how they work! Hahaha... I mean I get the gist of it, but I always just go for the good old fashioned paperback! Do you listen to books when you are training for the marathon Anju? Come to think of it, that would be a great idea to keep from getting bored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely! Helps when you have to do an 3 hour easy endurance run alone :-) That's how I "read" the entire twilight series - try audible.com - you get a free audiobook I think when you sign up. I think I started because I get motion sickness a lot and can't read in ANY moving vehicle, so audiobooks help - as long as the narrator is good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I too get motion sickness easily above ground. But for some reason I'm ok on the subway! Thanks for the tip! I will have to look into this. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...