Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trader Joe's Conacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa


I am a big fan of Trader Joe's.  I think part of the reason I love it so much is because I went to college in Santa Barbara, where there is a Trader Joe's on every block and it's everyone's normal grocery store.  I definitely got spoiled there.  I didn't know how good I had it.  I mean, who doesn't love Traders??  They have all kinds of different and interesting products for way cheaper than say Ralphs or Albertsons.  I love their big wine selection too.   It's definitely an interesting concept for a chain grocery store.  Each store has a small community feel, and all the customers seem very loyal. 

It's been raining like crazy here this whole week.  I think something like the most rain in the past 10 years.  So when it's raining, of course I automatically think of having hot chocolate (and spiking it with Baileys).   I went to Trader Joe's to grab some the other day, and came across the Conacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa.  I think it was the only hot chocolate they had there.  So I thought I'd give it a try, and Trader Joe's has impressed me yet again!

This is probably the best hot chocolate I've ever had!  I mean, it tastes amazing.  It has a very chocolaty flavor, but not too sweet or overwhelming.  You can just feel that there is not a whole lot of added sugar like the packaged hot chocolate packets you can get at regular grocery stores.  It's very creamy but not heavy, and you don't even have to mix it with milk.  I tried it with water as well as soy milk, and it tastes great no matter what.  You just add 2 tbsp of the mix like the instruction says, and voila!  Best freaking hot chocolate for reals.  It mixes super smooth.  After a few stirs, it becomes completely dissolved, and there's no remnants of the mixture.  I really am quite in love with this!  Adding a shot of Baileys to it is just the cherry on top.  It's like escaping to chocolate heaven!

Of course me being so health conscious these days, I have to add that I'm very impressed with the nutritional content of this hot chocolate as well.  The ingredients are all natural and organic.  None of that high fructose corn syrup crap.  2 tbps gives you only 70 calories, with only 60 mg of sodium.  It even contains 220 mg of potassium, 1 g of fiber, and 2 g of protein - all the good stuff!  13 g of carbs is not bad unless you are on Atkins diet (in which case you are kind of a retard but that's a different issue for a different day).  11g of sugar is unavoidable, not ideal but definitely could be worse. 

So needless to say, I've been having too many cups of this deliciousness this week.  But it really makes me feel so wonderful during the rainy days!  Sometimes there's nothing better than to sip on hot chocolate, cuddle in bed, and read a good book or watch a good movie, knowing that even though it's raining cats and dogs out there, you've got your nice and cozy little haven inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...