Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fage Greek Yogurt

I've just discovered Fage Yogurt and I'm so happy I found it!


I had been looking for a good yogurt forever and almost gave up.  I've tried lots of brands, they either had too much calories, too much sugar, too much fat, or tons of other ingredients, like high fructose corn syrup found in Yoplait.  Yuck.  So the other day I was checking out the yogurt section at Ralphs once again, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the non-fat Fage Greek yogurt had only 7g of sugar/carb, and 15g of protein!  Most yogurts have over 20g of sugar and under 10g of protein at the most.  I thought well, it must be high in calories, but there's only 90 calories in the whole container.  It's all natural too and contains only grade A pasturized milk and live active cultures.  There's no added sweeteners or thickeners or preservatives.  I had to try it out. 

It has the consistency of sour cream - very creamy.  Tastes pretty good!  I added some Splenda and almonds to it and it was a perfect snack.  I can't believe I never noticed it on the shelves of the grocery store earlier!  Maybe it's because of the modest packaging, when next to all these colorful containers, it did not stand out.  I guess Fage (pronounced fa-yeh) has been around for almost 100 years and is the biggest diary company in Greece today, and makes products all over the world.  The Fage yogurt we get in the US used to be made in Greece but is now made in New York.  Obviously I never had the Greece version to compare, but I'd imagine it was probably even better!

The taste of this Fage Greek yogurt reminds me of the home made yogurt my grandma used to make all the time when I was little.  If you search for home made yogurt recipes on google, lots of recipes come up that call for precise measurements of different ingredients and temperatures and seem to require a lot of work.  But my grandma's recipe is tested and yet extremely simple.  You basically just put milk in a pot (she'd always use whole milk or grade A milk), boil till it bubbles, let cool to room temperature, and add some yogurt in it as the culture.  Then you just leave it in a container with a lid on it, let it sit overnight in the fridge and voila, you've got the best tasting yogurt in the morning!  Of course I can't seem to find the time to do this myself (I know, I'm so lazy), but it would be a lot more economical!  In the meantime though, I'm going to stick with the Fage Greek yogurt!  Yay for a new great find!

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally obsessed with fage. I eat it every day! I've tried a number of other greek yogurt brands and none others even come close to the rich creamyness. Also good with splenda/cinamon combined. And, my fave is with honey. Last week all my area stores that carry it were completely out for an entire week and I was going nuts. When it got stocked back up again I bought 12 : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hooked on greek yogurt since I first tried it a couple years ago. I think I read about it in a magazine (Real Simple? or Running World? I can't remember) which prompted me to look for it. I first ate it with a little honey and some walnuts (that was how I read about it in the magazine). It's also good if you throw some berries on top, or use it in fruit smoothies. I've never tried it with Splenda, but I'm not really a splenda fan. The small containers are great for bringing to work, but it's also available in larger containers if you know you will use it a lot at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you guys on this one - love Greek yogurt! Good thing they contain less sugar and more protein than regular yogurt. It's a definite win-win.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...