Sunday, November 13, 2011

Malibu Half Marathon Results

The good news is that I finished the half marathon!  And the bad news is I can barely move right now.  Lol.  But I'm so happy that I was able to actually finish it, which was the biggest doubt I had.  I am pretty sure the farthest I ever ran at one time was 8 miles or so, maybe 9 but definitely under 10.  And that was over 2 years ago.  So just being able to finish the half marathon today without collapsing was pretty cool.

I got a pretty medal for it too, yay!  And a pretty nice beach towel which will definitely come in handy. My final time was 2 hours and 20 minutes, which I thought was ok considering I had to stop at the porter potty and at least 8 different water stations along the way.  Not the mention the monstrous hills during the second half of the course.

So the big surprise today right off the bat was that it was extremely warm.  I had been checking the weather forecast pretty regularly and it's been cloudy and cold the past few days.  Yesterday when we went to Malibu to pick up the packet it was chilly and windy, and lightly sprinkling, so I figured it would be about the same today.  Big mistake!!  It was freaking sunny and hot, like 70 degrees at 8 am.  And of course I wore my Inspire pullover with no tank under so I couldn't even take it off.  I feel uncomfortable running in only a sports bra, but I seriously almost did it.  I was so jealous of the people that only had a tank and shorts on.

Before the race started

Despite the fact that I was rather uncomfortable to start with, I had a pretty good first half of the race.  I paced myself well and I felt pretty good for the first 6 miles or so.  I felt like it went by pretty fast.  The view was awesome as it was along the coast the whole time, so nothing to complain about there.  Looked like this pretty much the whole way:

Yes I stopped briefly to snap this pic... hehe

Right after mile 6, there was a point where we had to get off the main road and run the opposite direction on a side road for a while, and then circle back.  I did not expect that as it was not on the course map.  I think it messed me up mentally since it felt like going backwards, and then right after that we had to face a pretty high hill.  So things kind of went down from there.  

I would say miles 8-10 were the most brutal for me.  It was all hill, and no shades.  I was so hot, and I knew I had not gone this far before.  My hubby was running with me, and he was having issues and wanted to walk.  I walked a little with him even though it hurt more to walk than run.  But he claimed to not be able to go on anymore so I didn't want to leave him in case something happened.  I think he was just being a baby and I could have shaved off at least 5 minutes if I had left him then.  Lol.

After mile 10, I felt a little better.  The hills subsided a little and I kept telling myself only a few more miles till the end.  At this point my feet and ankles were kind of throbbing.  Although the rest of my body felt surprisingly ok.  

At around mile 11, I felt that I could have puked.  I have never felt like puking while working out before, but now I understand how it can happen to people.  I think I should have eaten something earlier on, but I only had water and a little bit of this espresso flavored goo they were giving out.  

Finally when we were at mile 12, hubby claimed to be seeing stars and could not run anymore.  Another reason we probably should have eaten something.  I could not even think about walking all the way to the finish because that is so lame, so I finally left him at this point.  I picked up my pace a little for the last mile and sprinted at the last quarter of the mile.  I really wanted to sprint the whole last mile but legs would not let me.  I don't know where I pulled the energy to sprint at the end, but I passed at least 50 people then! I think it was because I saw the finish line and just wanted to get it over with!  

I was so happy when I was close to the finish line I could have cried, I think I had the biggest smile on my face.  

According to my NikePlus GPS tracking app on my phone, here are my stats:

The red parts were the parts where we walked

Big drop in pace starting at mile 8  =(

Fastest pace was when I started sprinting at the end... lol

So I think that this might not have been the best race to pick as my first.  It was just too hilly.  I would imagine that without the hills I could finish around 2 hours.  But then again I'm proud of myself for finishing a tough course.  So no regrets!  About half of the people I know finished around 1 hour 45 minutes, so that's the goal to reach in the future!  I do think I will do another half marathon at some point, but definitely need to train a little bit so I don't feel like death at the end.  My legs feel sore now, 10 hours after the race.  But not as sore as I would imagine.  My joints kind of hurt though, ankels, knees, etc.  My feet are completely fine - my Lululemon Ultimate Run socks and my new Adidas shoes did extremely well.  Hubby on the other hand, got a nasty blood blister and one of his toe nails is purple now.  It's so gross I won't even post the picture I took!

We'll see how I feel tomorrow, it could be a major mistake not to haven taken the day off work!


  1. Congratulations! Sounds like it was a tough race. After my first half, I definitely learned the same lessons - don't underestimate the need to train and to eat! Double that for full marathons! I've really wanted to start running again recently, so your posts are helping inspire me!

  2. Thanks Anon! I cannot even imagine running a full marathon and having to double the pain... lol.. but good luck on starting to run again!

  3. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at :

  4. Congrats for finish the half! I'm impressed--if you can do that well without training then I'm pretty sure you will break 2 hours with no problems next time.

    i'm doing the Route 66 half next weekend in Tulsa, OK so this post came just in time to get me all pumped up!

    then Dallas Marathon on Dec 5. YIKES.

  5. Loved the race report! Congrats on your finish - I think that time is amazing. Is that an app on your Iphone that you used to track your run? What a beautiful course - you are so lucky to live there. Next time I'm out running I'll try to pretend I'm running next to the ocean for inspiration! lol :)

  6. Congratulations! Hills are rough. And I can't even imagine wearing long sleeves while running in 70 degrees. I think I've worn a tank + shorts for anything 60+. Hopefully you were at least able to push your sleeves up and unzip without flashing too much :)

  7. @strawb3rries: Good luck on your upcoming races!! Wow a half and a full marathon back to back... crazy!!!

    @Dawn: Haha you are so funny! It is an app I use on my iphone, it's called Nike+ GPS, and then you can sync it with your Nike+ account online as well. It's pretty cool, I've had good experiences with it so far.

    @RunningOnCoffee: I tried rolling up my sleeves but it was kinda too tight to roll up as much as I wanted to. And then it started cutting off my circulation so I had to put it back down! It really was a little miserable! Lesson learned though. =)

  8. Awesome! I can't believe you didn't train or anything and that you've never ran more than 9 or so miles!! Congrats!

    My goal was to run a half next summer. I recently started running and I love it! I have been running about 1 1/2 months and have gotten up to 8.5 miles. I was so proud of myself. Unfortunately, I was running really early last Tuesday morning and got hit by a car turning right on red. I knew I should have waited :( Anyway, I have a torn ACL and MCL and probably won't be running at all until next year. I have to have surgery. Luckily, he wasn't going fast and it was a minor injury considering how bad it could have been. I guess I'll plan to run a half in 2 years :)

    By the way, when I load up your blog, I've been having problems. My computer says that a script is running that might cause my computer to become unresponsive and it takes forever to load. Not sure if there is anything going on different?

  9. p.s. I loved reading about the run and appreciate the tips. I can't believe how awesome you did!

  10. Oh my Gosh Andrea, I can't believe you got hit by a car!!! And you said that so nonchalantly.... wow I'm so sorry that happened to you! But you are right, rest and get recovered then you will be back to running in no time. Take it easy next time you get out there!

    And thanks! I think I would feel more accomplished if I actually trained for it and gave it my all. But there's always next time!

    Hmmm and I'm not sure about the loading issue... I haven't had any problems personally and haven't heard from anyone else about this issue. I haven't done anything to it so I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe blogger was having issues, that's all I can think of. I'll pay more attention and hopefully it won't happen again!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...